Landmark Restoration Projects For Historic Homes
September 10, 2015 Steven Murphy
A landmark restoration is a big project that needs big financial backup. This particular type of restoration project is usually required and conducted by property owners for historic preservation and for the construction industry.
Though landmark restoration of a historic home can be very daunting, many homeowners find it worthwhile because of the tax breaks, national and local grants that come along with the project.
For this to be successfully done, thorough research of the history of the landmark needs to be done. You can look for photos and old records of the home in news archives and even in your local library. In case you could not find any record or photos, try researching for the era in which the house was built and see what similar homes looked like. By doing so, you can have a reference of the original appearance of the house. Restoring it would be easier then as you have a guide to follow.
But before continuing with the landmark restoration project, have the home inspected first for any structural issues, wiring and plumbing problems.
Since it is a landmark, it is necessary that it is restored in its original configuration. Do that by removing anything that seems inappropriate such as additional porches, awnings and shutters. Do the same thing with interior moldings and other details that have been added. For the doorways and windows, remove any coverings and restore them to their original form.
The roof and porch railings that may be damaged have to be repaired or replaced. It is recommended that these parts are repainted using the color that is true to the home’s era. Sticking to the typical colors used in the home’s era is important. Use these shades in repainting the interior of the house. Add textures or wallpaper only where they are appropriate.
Flooring needs to be restored as well. If the floors can be refurbished into their original state, replace them with matching materials. The same goes for all fixture and hardware. Remember to use originals and matching materials only to properly accomplish this project.
At the end of this article, I’d like to share cool websites with more information on topics like Finished Basement Estimate and Architect Brooklyn. Visit for more information.
- How to Play an Online Bingo Game Card
- Online casino: new version of the casinos
- Become A Better Poker Player
- Online Poker Strategy
- How To Play New Online Bingo Sites
- Bring Live Bingo Gaming Home with Internet Gambling
- Gain Expertise On Slot Games Through Free No Download Mobile Slot Games
- Win In Poker: Tips When You Play Poker Games For The Money
- Feature Slots – Slots With A Twist!
- Aztec’s Treasure Slot Machine
- How To Play The Slot Machine
- Online Casino Malaysia No Deposit Slot Bonus
- Blackjack Online: A Game Popular Among The Players
- Oni Skill Stop Slot Machine Review
- Finding A Good Slot Casino
- Zorro Slot Machine Critical Overview
- Quick Tips to Play Bingo Online Quick Tips to Play Bingo Online
- Slot Machines: The Backbone of Gambling
- What We Know About the Antique Slot Machine
- Online Poker Strategy for Beginners: Use Play Money to Get Better Then Play for Real Money and Win