Acquiring Permits for Home Improvement Projects
February 22, 2015 Steven Murphy
If you are planning to improve your house in Northern Virginia, you will be required to acquire some permits and approvals from the state. If you plan to repair sidings, paint your walls, add a front porch, or add a second floor in your house, it is best to review the guidelines in your local homeowner’s association (HOA), whether there are restrictions and requirements for maintaining and improving your house.
Building Code and Zoning Approval
You have the liberty to do some improvement projects to your house; it is under your ownership, after all. However, the country requires homeowners to secure a building permit and/or zoning approval when new constructions—such as fences, swimming pools, and parking areas—within the property will be done. For instance, in the state of Virginia, there is the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC), which contains the regulations in constructing a new building or an extension or addition to an existing building. It also gives regulations to protect residents from the hazards arising from the construction.
Projects that Need Permits
Home addition is a home improvement project that requires a permit. You need a permit if you will add up a porch, a deck, a sunroom, or a shed that has an area of at least 200 square feet, to your house. For decks, permits are needed if the floor is equal to or greater than 16.5 inches. A permit is also required if you plan to replace gas furnaces or gas logs.
In Northern Virginia replacement windows and door installations also need permits, especially if structural adjustments will be made. Changing electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and heating systems also require a permit. You will also need to seek for approval if you’re building a swimming pool in your lot, particularly if it requires more than two feet of water and is larger than 150 square feet.
Projects that Do Not Need a Permit
Some home improvement projects may not require a permit, but performing them still needs to conform to code standards. These projects are classified as “ordinary repairs”, such as interior and exterior painting, wallpapering, and replacing cabinets and light fixtures. No permit is also needed for a roof repair Northern Virginia roofing contractors execute.
If you have questions, please visit us at www.northeasthome.info for complete details and answers.
- How to Play with Online Bingo Game in Bingo Sites UK
- Casino Bonuses Online
- Casino Bonus and Discount explained
- The Variety of Online Casino Games
- Online Casinos Feeling the Credit Crunch
- Is a 300% Casino Bonus Worth Using?
- What All To Consider While Purchasing A Slot machine?
- Online Bingo is a Fresh Face of Gaming
- What to Look for in Online Poker Tells
- Fresh Spin To Your Autumn Winter Work Wear Wardrobe
- Online Slot Games in Virtual Casinos.
- Benefits of internet Casino Benefits
- How single men looking for women online in America
- Sticky Bonuses Do Not Have to Stick
- Bingo Sites Offer Free Money To Take Them on a Test Ride
- 3 Poker Strategies
- Stop Losing at Slots – Lucrative Slots Sessions with Smart Betting
- Busting Online Poker Myths
- Making Profits Through Online Poker
- Wavescasino.com sending ripples in the online gambling scene