DIY – Your TV Lift
April 10, 2015 Steven Murphy
Recently I Googled TV lifts and found many different options. Perhaps the most surprising was the one listed under “Home Automations” offering instruction on how to “build a pop up lift cabinet using an off-the-shelf dresser drawers and an off-the-shelf pop up TV lift kit in about three hours, all for only $ 500.”
Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for the DIY trend and on smaller, less important projects; I might fully endorse such an undertaking.
However, most people who would consider an automated TV lift also enjoy watching their TV…and in order to watch it, it needs to work, right? Imagine, after your three hour “sweat equity” investment (not to mention whatever you invested in the dresser and your pricey plasma TV), your “home automation” project comes crashing down, TV and all, because the online instruction omitted a crucial step?
Why put yourself through the agony?
Today there are many reputable cabinet/console purveyors who will customize your TV lift cabinet to your specifications. Everything from the number of shelves you want in your cabinet, to the height at which you want your TV to “rest” when in use, to the color and design of the hardwood cabinetry.
By going through a professional, you also have options in mechanical operation and design, including motorized lifts, lifts that pivot, and lifts that drop down and retract back into the ceiling. Many manufacturers offer their TV lifts with rack and pinion operating units, while others offer telescopic technology for their systems. Almost universally, these manufacturers offer warranties on their TV lift units as well, which is why they are designed with structural integrity using high-quality components…not make-shift pieces and parts from the tool shed, or clearance furniture from a bog box store, as may be the case in the home-spun version.
Another benefit of working with a turn-key manufacturer verses the “do-it-yourself” option is that the furniture (cabinet or console) generally arrives fully assembled; no worries about “washer #22” missing, or the wrong size screw for a key part of your “home automation” construction.
Do-It-Yourselfers beware: certain “projects” – including a safe, fully-functional TV lift – are best left to the professionals!
Rob Buehl, CEO of ImportAdvantage, and almost twenty year veteran of the furniture business, leads this supplier of high end furniture with innovative pop-up TV lift mechanisms and traditional TV stands systems. Rob is a member of these professional organizations – NHFA, CEA, CEDIA.
- Getting Close To Online Casinos: Expert Reviews
- Bingo Game Online and Bingo Game Rules
- How To Win On A Casino Slot Machine
- Dozen poker releases its Top products for June 2009
- Arabian Nights and Icy Wonders – Two Popular Online Slots
- New Online Casino Slots: i-Slots
- The Irresistible Perks Of Getting Online Cashbacks
- When Looking At Casino Bonuses – What You Need To Know Before Registering
- Best Bonus Casino Internet: Are You Getting a Good Deal?
- How to Withdraw Money at Online Casinos Step by Step?
- The Facts of Playing Poker Online
- Online Casino Guides: Orienting Yourself to Internet Gaming
- Poker: Finding a Good Poker Room
- The Fun Of Free Online Slots
- Play Online Poker 101: A Guide to 7 Card Stud Hi Lo
- The Fun Of Free Slots
- Online Poker Rules: The Difference Between Land-Based Poker Games and Internet Poker
- LATEST CASINO’S LATEST REVIEW: SLOTTY VEGAS CASINO
- Easy and Best Online Blackjack Tips
- How To Win At Online Sic Bo