Patio door DIY improvements
March 5, 2015 Steven Murphy
DIY improvements for your patio door security
Patio doors can add character to any home. Homes can be improved by installing patio doors. They let natural light in, provide ease of access to a back garden or patio area and certainly look a lot more attractive than a regular back wall. There are many different styles and options available and they offer the best way to bridge the gap between the inside and the outdoors. Having said that, they also seem to catch the eyes of thieves.
Criminals will always have a variety of ways to break in, but a full panel door will be inviting for them. Even huge, heavy panels of glass can easily be utilised to get in, even by relatively inexperienced burglars.
On hand to help you, there are a range of security measures you can take to minimise this. Making just a few changes you can change it from being really appealing to a burglar, into a nightmare.
Most of the patio doors or orangeries on the market will come with latches as opposed to locks. The downside of latches is that they can be overpowered with the right amount of force. One simple way you can secure your door, without any real expense, is to simply place a rod or block in the door track, wedged between the door and the wall.
If a burglar has enough time and the rear of the garden is not in view, they can lift a patio door off it’s track. Shaking a door off it’s tracks only takes patience and some jiggling. It is doable because there is no way to seal the doors down because they lay on rollers on the tracks. To minimise the chances of this happening is simply down to keeping an eye on the rollers to make sure they stay in good condition, and if need be replacing them. It should fight tightly in to the frame and move smoothly along the rollers. If this is not the case then you should get it repaired immediately, this will make it a lot more difficult for thieves to pop it loose.
There are also locks you can buy that protect the rollers. These foot locks have steel rods which are protruding into the tracks of the rollers. This creates a deadbolt for the door, stopping it from being opened even when the latch has been lifted. It also connect the door directly to the track which prevents it from being lifted.
Even though they are simple techniques, they are proven to reduce the chances of a successful break in. Most opportunist burglars will be put off instantly by anything that makes them work harder. In addition to this advice guide, you can invest in a heavy duty lock for your patio door to replace the latch.For double glazing prices, look to a company with a good reputation.
Chris is a blog writer who writes on a number of topics in his spare time
- Online Gambling Casinos
- Poker: Strip Poker – Adding Zest to a Boring Game
- From Lush Casinos to Online Environments: Learning How to Play Video Poker
- Top Five Online Poker Advantages
- Title: No-download mode at the online casino web-sites. What is this and how to use it?
- 10 Reasons to Use an Online Casino
- Free Bingo Games Rule the Roost
- new uk slots sites
- GET MORE THAN A FREE WELCOME BONUS CASINO MALAYSIA
- Magento 2 Spin and Win Extension by Knowband
- Online poker tournaments are worth playing
- How to Play Online Poker free
- The Top 5 Poker Variations
- Fun Poker: Enjoy the Game by Using Our Winning Poker Tips
- How to start from scratch in online poker.
- USA Casino: The new casino
- How to obtain mobile casino bonus
- The Difference Between Online Poker and Real Poker
- How Can Free Online Blackjack Help Anybody?
- What We Know About Slot Machine Banks