Acquiring Permits for Home Improvement Projects
February 22, 2015 Steven Murphy
If you are planning to improve your house in Northern Virginia, you will be required to acquire some permits and approvals from the state. If you plan to repair sidings, paint your walls, add a front porch, or add a second floor in your house, it is best to review the guidelines in your local homeowner’s association (HOA), whether there are restrictions and requirements for maintaining and improving your house.
Building Code and Zoning Approval
You have the liberty to do some improvement projects to your house; it is under your ownership, after all. However, the country requires homeowners to secure a building permit and/or zoning approval when new constructions—such as fences, swimming pools, and parking areas—within the property will be done. For instance, in the state of Virginia, there is the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC), which contains the regulations in constructing a new building or an extension or addition to an existing building. It also gives regulations to protect residents from the hazards arising from the construction.
Projects that Need Permits
Home addition is a home improvement project that requires a permit. You need a permit if you will add up a porch, a deck, a sunroom, or a shed that has an area of at least 200 square feet, to your house. For decks, permits are needed if the floor is equal to or greater than 16.5 inches. A permit is also required if you plan to replace gas furnaces or gas logs.
In Northern Virginia replacement windows and door installations also need permits, especially if structural adjustments will be made. Changing electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and heating systems also require a permit. You will also need to seek for approval if you’re building a swimming pool in your lot, particularly if it requires more than two feet of water and is larger than 150 square feet.
Projects that Do Not Need a Permit
Some home improvement projects may not require a permit, but performing them still needs to conform to code standards. These projects are classified as “ordinary repairs”, such as interior and exterior painting, wallpapering, and replacing cabinets and light fixtures. No permit is also needed for a roof repair Northern Virginia roofing contractors execute.
If you have questions, please visit us at www.northeasthome.info for complete details and answers.
- Getting Close To Online Casinos: Expert Reviews
- Bingo Game Online and Bingo Game Rules
- How To Win On A Casino Slot Machine
- Dozen poker releases its Top products for June 2009
- Arabian Nights and Icy Wonders – Two Popular Online Slots
- New Online Casino Slots: i-Slots
- The Irresistible Perks Of Getting Online Cashbacks
- When Looking At Casino Bonuses – What You Need To Know Before Registering
- Best Bonus Casino Internet: Are You Getting a Good Deal?
- How to Withdraw Money at Online Casinos Step by Step?
- The Facts of Playing Poker Online
- Online Casino Guides: Orienting Yourself to Internet Gaming
- Poker: Finding a Good Poker Room
- The Fun Of Free Online Slots
- Play Online Poker 101: A Guide to 7 Card Stud Hi Lo
- The Fun Of Free Slots
- Online Poker Rules: The Difference Between Land-Based Poker Games and Internet Poker
- LATEST CASINO’S LATEST REVIEW: SLOTTY VEGAS CASINO
- Easy and Best Online Blackjack Tips
- How To Win At Online Sic Bo