DIY Home Improvement
December 6, 2013 Steven Murphy
Of course, nearly everyone as at some point tried DIY home improvement. But does it increase the potential selling value of a home after? According to interior designer Scot McAllister:
“Home improvements, their costs and their resultant profits are not a precise science. For this reason, it’s hard to specifically quantify what works and what doesn’t. For example, laminate flooring has undergone a popularity nosedive due to the market being flooded by so many photographic plastic options.”
McAllister continues with:
“Their cheapness has created a stigma – and even expensive options have become tarred with the same brush. When replacement costs start ticking away in buyers’ heads you don’t need to be Carol Vorderman to understand that offers will be reduced.”
DIY projects that increase the value of a home
To raise the value of a house, you need to carry out DIY home improvement projects that will definitely withstand the test of time. For example, if you do have laminate flooring you can install vintage wooden doors.
To install wooden doors, you would need a screwdriver, a pair of thick gloves, 4-inch door-frame screws and a hammer. To remove the door from the frame, simply unscrew the hinges from the door frame.
Get that old door off
Once the hinges come off, slowly ease the door from frame itself, taking care not to damage the edges. You would want to of course, preserve the old door for use later on. Home values go up when front doors are beautiful- so choose the replacement door properly.
Another interesting DIY home improvement project that can raise the value of your home is replacing worn out bathroom tiles.
If the tiles are more than a decade old and you plan on selling within the next few months, now would be the opportune time to replace the tiles.
Replacing worn out tiles
The replacement of worn out bathroom tiles is a bit more difficult than the first project, Of course, the tiles in the bathroom can no longer be recovered completely intact, so make sure you can dispose of the broken tiles immediately afterward.
Designer tiles can be put in place of the old ones. Designer tiles employ a variety of new colors and textures that will naturally emphasize the dimensions of the bathroom.
For this project you would need a few sacks for tile disposal, a large chisel or a crow bar and a mallet or an equivalent. If possible, work the tiles when they are wet as this reduces friction and lessens dust clouds during working. Drive the crowbar against the underside of the tiles and slowly work around the tiles.
Ease the tiles off the floor, making sure that none are left behind. Smooth white cement may be used to install the new designer tiles after the bathroom floor has been re-leveled.
Justin Ray, an interior designer for the TV show How Not to Decorate warns people:
“A bad DIY project will always detract from the resale value. Anything that looks unprofessional, such as a badly-fitted kitchen or uneven plastering, will get buyers wondering.”
- How to Choose The Best Online Poker Room
- UK Online Bingo – Winning is Easy
- You Can Win At Online Slots
- Beginners guide to poker – part one
- Ways to Select a Good Online Casino
- The Best Internet Casino Games
- Tips to Improve your Blackjack Game
- Idea of Free Slots in Online Casinos
- Online Gambling Casinos
- Poker: Strip Poker – Adding Zest to a Boring Game
- From Lush Casinos to Online Environments: Learning How to Play Video Poker
- Top Five Online Poker Advantages
- Title: No-download mode at the online casino web-sites. What is this and how to use it?
- 10 Reasons to Use an Online Casino
- Free Bingo Games Rule the Roost
- new uk slots sites
- GET MORE THAN A FREE WELCOME BONUS CASINO MALAYSIA
- Magento 2 Spin and Win Extension by Knowband
- Online poker tournaments are worth playing
- How to Play Online Poker free